Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017

Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017
Alfie's first medal

Wednesday 9 January 2013

A surprise, a few runs and a new year

Well, it has been a while since I last posted anything.  It has been such a busy summer season.  We have been working flat out since we got back from our road trip at the end of November/beginning of December. Which is good, I'm not complaining, as it means we have earned money (so that we can do more repairs and maintenance to The Ark!)

I also had a wonderful surprise on Christmas Eve when my youngest (Taz) turned up with her husband (Nick).  Well, it was just about a "surprise" as she had let a few things slip on previous telephone calls, and Steve had been saying some very odd things.  Also, the business e-mail had received some strange "bookings" earlier in the year!  So, put all these oddities together.... But it was still the most wonderful surprise to see them.  Taz's friend, Foxy, was also over here in SA for Christmas and New Year, and she and some of her family filled the rest of our rooms so that we could have a "party" over New Year.  Great Fun!

I also managed some runs during this time - not as many as I would have liked, or should have done, nor as long as they probably should have been either, but I did get out and do at least 5km when I could.  Accompanying me for some of them was Taz (couldn't believe she was up and out with me at about 6.30am several times, without complaining! I was well impressed!).  She is working her way up the ranks of running, having been running "properly" since last summer, and together we completed the 5km Danger Point Run on 31 December.  We ran round together and she did her best ever time of 30 min 50 sec. Well done, Taz!

7am and waiting to run the 5km

Taz being a runner. Nearly finished - just half a km left.
A very proud Taz...

And proud Mum!


Just before she flew back to the UK, we went out for a 5km run and we ended up doing 6.5km (and Taz hadn't even noticed).  She'll be doing 10km before very long, and will be running faster than me!

I am now trying to get back into running longer with my next half marathon in mind next month.  Today's run consisted of some intervals and a fast(ish) mile run, which considering there was rain and strong winds went remarkably well.  I ran at about 80-85% pace and it felt quite good, but I didn't want to run so fast that I just faded after half way.  I wanted it to be consistent and, very surprisingly, it was - 1 mile = 8.38mins.  I just need to be able to keep it up for the next 6 weeks!




2 comments:

  1. ooooh I've just checked your race diary, I didn't realise there was an actual Cape Town Marathon as well as all the Two Oceans malarky mmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder! Nope do VLM first and then wonder I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been going for a few years now, apparently, and they are trying to build it up to be a popular city marathon. The only races that seem to get all the hype are the Two Oceans and Comrades - far out of my league! Yep, definitely do VLM first - great marathon - but definitely not for getting a good time in - far too many people!

    ReplyDelete