Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017

Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017
Alfie's first medal

Friday, 10 August 2012

Another week...

illustration of happy teeth with tooth brush and tooth paste Stock Photo - 9062568

I seem to have done quite a lot in the last week.  It has certainly passed quickly for me anyway.  Last Friday I had a dentist appointment to check that my tooth was ok now.  I was dreading it, as if it wasn't ok, I would have to have more work done, so I went for a run in the morning before my appointment to take my mind off it.  It worked - I didn't think about the dentist at all until the moment I stopped running.  I needn't have worried though and I am pleased to say that the appointment went well and all is ok.  Went for a coffee afterwards to celebrate!

On Saturday, I went for a cycle ride with Steve.  It was the first ride for about a month and it felt like it too!  Hard work!  We went as far as the farm just before Carruthers Hill, about 8 kms away, and all was fine until half way back when my bike started making a sort of clunking noise from somewhere, not sure where.  Oh well, it's back to the bike shop to get checked out!

Sunday was my long run day and I ran 16km with Steve on his cycle to (almost) the top of Carruthers Hill.  That was hard work too.  It is the longest run I have done since the London Marathon!  When  I got back, after stretching and a shower, I sat down with my lunch and watched the second half of the Ladies Marathon on TV!  How do they do it?  I don't run half as fast as those elites!

It was an appallingly cold day on Monday, so I was very glad I had no run to do.  Supposedly, it was the coldest day of the winter, and snow fell in many places, and rivers flooded too.  That's one advantage of living by the sea  - it doesn't get quite as cold as inland places.  Still VERY cold though!  I did some exercise just to try and warm up a bit.  'Extra fleece and hot water bottle under my jumper' weather.

I was out running again on Tuesday and I took Alfie with me.  We did a 5km jog.  Well, I jogged, he just trotted along beside me with his long legs!  He wasn't exhausted at all when we got back.  I will have to 'up' his runs, I think.

Wednesday was very windy and I wasn't looking forward to trying to do a faster run in a very strong headwind.  It does get a bit much sometimes.  I don't seem to get a run in lately without it being very windy.  Oh well, I suppose I'll be complaining it's too hot in another month or so.  However, I was pleased with the run.  After a 2km warm up, I did 15 minutes into the wind (not fast, too windy for that!) and then turned round and ran faster for 10 minutes, then finished off faster still.  Actually managed to keep my pace up for 20 minutes altogether.

Yesterday was National Women's Day, and a long weekend here now.  The weather is supposed to be really bad tomorrow, which I'm not looking forward to.  I hope we don't lose the electricity this time.

However, we made the most of the good weather this morning, and took the dogs up to the reserve at Walker Bay, just a few kms from us - and I wore my trail shoes.  Two jobs in one!  Run for the dogs and a run for me!

All the bush is growing on rocky sand dunes, so it is quite hard work running up and down the trails on them.  And, yes, I am in the picture above if you look hard!

Even Mango looks tired.

This was a hard bit - a hill!

A nice flat bit at the end.  I ended up doing about 5.6kms overall.  Alfie must have done at least 8kms and Steve and Mango probably did about 4kms each!


  1. You are looking good hun. I've been thinking of running with the pooches (one at a time though as they need to be on leads) but short to start, scares me though just thinking about it.

  2. Thank you. When I go by myself, I will only take one of them with me (on a lead) and that will be Alfie, who has much more energy than the GSD. I do have to be careful and go slower than I would want so he doesn't trip me up - he tends to bump into me and run too close, but I'll persevere with him. He loves it.