Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017

Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017
Alfie's first medal

Sunday, 1 April 2018

Yorkshire Marathon (Sunday 8 October) and other stuff!

We caught our flight to the UK on Wednesday 4 October in plenty of time to get over it by Sunday and meet up with family and friends. I was running the marathon with Russell, Sam and Tom. Taz was running the 10 miler. It was very exciting and very scary too, particularly for the guys who hadn't run a marathon before. However, by the Saturday I wasn't feeling great, and was really worried that I wouldn't be able to run on Sunday. So annoying!  Still...

We all met up at the Runners Village on the Sunday morning, visited the toilets, took photos, and then headed for the start line. It was only a matter of minutes before we were off and I was then separated from the guys by the rest of the crowd.

Overall, I was not happy with my performance.  Feeling as I did, I struggled after the first few kilometres. The course was great, and I had been hopeful of getting a reasonable time (for me!) but I knew it wasn't going to happen that day! I kept going because I had to, and I was raising money for someone in the village who helps neglected dogs.  I was so relieved to finish it.

Russell got back first, followed by Sam and Tom, and then me.

That evening we had a party, and it was great to see friends Charlie and Coral there, all the way from Italy! Everyone was tired though, and we weren't in bed late!

We stayed in York for a few more days, and I was treated to a pedicure and a manicure. My feet loved the pedicure! Just what they needed!

Then, we had a train trip to Manchester, where we picked up a hire car and finished the journey to Wales to see friends Dave and Lynda.  It rained every day we were there, but it was great to see them again.

Then, it was time for our big trip to New York and Washington DC. New York was an experience in itself! We enjoyed our trip down the Hudson River, and seeing the sights from the boat. It helped us understand how New York lies.

We travelled to Washington DC by train, which took about four hours. Arriving at the station, was a sight in itself. Incredible. We had lunch there one of the days too.

It was a huge learning experience, and enjoyed our trips to The Capitol, the Pentagon, Arlington Cemetery, various museums, etc.

While we were there, the Marine Corps Marathon was being held and we stood and watched for a while. It was great to be able to spectate for a change, although it would have been fun to run it!

We flew back to Heathrow and started our trip around Cambridgeshire to see family.


No comments:

Post a Comment