Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017

Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017
Alfie's first medal

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Why Not?


Why do I want to run the London Marathon?

I started running on and off after coming to South Africa, but only started running "seriously" about 18 months ago. I felt I needed something to focus on - living in Pearly Beach is not like living in most towns and cities! I am also the type of person who needs to exercise and "keep moving" - why get older before you have to! And most people need to lose a few kilograms - don't they?!

My first "running" steps on the road were based on a simple plan - one minute jogging, 1 minute walking... Eventually, after what seemed like many weeks I built up to feeling that I could run a 5km race. So I entered one! I ran the Spar Women's Challenge in April 2010 in Bellville. There was a 10km and a 5km race, the 10km being the main one, and there were several thousand runners dressed in all kinds of fancy dress! It was a great atmosphere and I thoroughly enjoyed the run and getting my medal at the end. I have no idea how long it took me though and I didn't really worry too much about the time because there were so many people, it was impossible to run until at least after the first kilometre.

This race made me want to do more and I entered the 10km Wheels and Runners Race in Hermanus being held about 3 weeks later, which eventually led to my first half marathon, the Cape Point Half Marathon in November 2010. This was an amazing experience, also very enjoyable even though it was held in gale force conditions.

I had been considering for a while whether I would be able to train enough to be able to run a marathon and decided "why not!" However, if I did run one, it would have to be a "special" one and it would be for charity. I came up with the idea of running either the London Marathon or the New York Marathon! Why not aim big! The charity? Alzheimer's - in memory of my mum and others who had the disease, have it now, or may have it in the future.

So... here goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment