Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017

Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017
Alfie's first medal

Thursday 26 January 2012

Run 115: 12km of real hard work

I didn't enjoy today's run! I found it very difficult. Well, I struggled to get out of bed this morning (at 6.15am) but I did it anyway. Sorted the animals out, and took Steve his cornflakes and cup of tea! I had a glass of orange juice (was really thirsty this morning) and struggled through half a bowl of jungle oats, then made my way out. I told Steve to catch me up - he was coming with me on his cycle.

I decided to run my long route, well, part of it, not all of it, and ran towards Carruthers Hill. Doing 12km, I would get as far as the farm just over the first ridge. Steve caught me up at the top of the main road just before I turned right to go on to the R43. I got into my rhythm, it was warm but not too hot yet, and the wind was coming towards me. Not too bad and I was running at about 6:54 pace - just right. It was a gradual uphill run, which makes it harder but not too hard. Reached the farm, 6km, and stopped for a moment to watch a buzzard, then turned round to come back.

It was flat for a bit before going gradually downhill so it should have been quite easy. Steve told me to speed up a bit and try to make up some time so I ran considerably faster for about 600m, then stopped and walked to drink some water. I really can't run and drink at the same time! Then I tried to do my previous pace of around 6:54 but it was harder this time, and I tried to speed up again after a few minutes but couldn't sustain it. I was getting hotter and the run was getting harder!

I had to take some walk breaks for the last 3 kms. I was struggling in the same place that I struggle when doing my long runs! Note to self: remember not to run this route again when trying to do a 12km fast run! I really wasn't enjoying it anymore and just found everything irritating, including OH, who was there to help me! Sorry OH! Don't take it personally! I was quite glad when the run was over.

However, when I got back and checked my time, I was actually 2 whole minutes quicker than I had been the previous week! So not all bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment