Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017

Toontjie 4km - 14 October 2017
Alfie's first medal

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Run 122: A Gentle Jog


Yesterday I was thinking I might bring my runs forward a day this week and run today instead of tomorrow because next week I am (hopefully) running in the Runners World ZA 10km trail run at Kirstenbosch. My plan tells me that I have 24km to run next Sunday, and the Kirstensbosch run is on Tuesday. In order to have 2 days between my last long run and my next run I need to bring everything forward this week. Last week was a 'step back' week and I felt it was better to have one less day recovery this week than next week when I would be running twice as much at the weekend. Does that make sense? I know what I mean! Anyway, it means that my run is today and not tomorrow!

Last night we had thunderstorms, not really bad ones and they didn't actually last all that long but it was enough for Alfie to wonder what on earth was going on. He hasn't heard thunder before in his little life. He was one year old yesterday (well, that is when we celebrate his birthday, we don't actually know when his birthday was as he came from an animal welfare centre). He seemed quite happy to celebrate it anyway with a quarter of a pig's head! Of course, Mango joined him in this celebration with a quarter of pig's head, herself, too!

Anyway, the thunderstorms meant that I didn't get any sleep until about 2am so I wasn't sure I would be in any fit state to run. Not doing very well this week, so far! However, I did get up and I did go out and run!

The weather was very overcast but at least it was cooler, and I did a gentle 5kms around the village. Not much wildlife out there today, although lots of fishing boats on the water. It's quite relaxing to do these little runs now and I quite enjoy them. They are deliberately slow so they burn fat too! (Bonus!) I now understand how slow runs fit in with longer or harder runs, instead of when my runs all seemed to blur into one another. There is now a much better distinction between the types of run I do. Apparently, that's how you are supposed to run! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment